Writing Books/Editors

Question
Hi Jannie,

I'm in the process of publishing my first book. Right now, I'm looking for an editor. But since I'm so new to this, could you please tell me when choosing an editor what I should look for? Thanks

Jackie

Answer
Jackie, it's not as easy as that. Sorry.

First, let me explain that traditional publishers DO NOT accept unsoicited manuscripts. Period.

Secondly, no one can "get published" without hiring a literary agent to represent you and you manuscript genre.

The right literary agent that handles your genre, can send it to the right publisher that handles the particular genre.

This is the ONLY way to ever get published.

It is a very, very long process. Many rejection letter-- a year or more.

If and when, you do get accepted by a publisher through your literary agent, the contract is extremely critical and extremely long and crucial. You will have to hire a literary attorney to represent you for the right contract or you could sign away your own copyrights and anything that can come of your book: a movie, a mini-series, printing and distribution to other countries, etc. Very involved.

All this can take up to two years, then there's the editing process. That is an extremely long process: you and the publisher's editors will go back and forth with editing and your approval or not. It can void any contract if you don't like their editing suggestions as well. It's a long, hard, grueling job.

All in all, a new author has less chance of ever being published or represented by a literary agent.

You need a background of being published in magazines, even online magazines, anything-- without pay even. You must build credibility first before a literary agent will take you on-- unless your writing and novel is SOOOOOO VERY GOOD that he/she cannot pass it up.

Sorry, but it's usually a pipe dream, and don't quit your day job or hold your breathe.

I do not want to discourage you, but the truth must be out there for all new writers to know: it takes years to finally be published and a lot of luck to get published for the very first time.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett