Writing Books/first liners

Hello again,
I am sorry to pepper you with questions.

I have been studying first liners of best selling books. Is it ok to use another writer's line, or a sentence here or there?

Hi Yvonne, no worries, ask questions! :)

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to here. Are you talking about the first sentence of a book? Or are you talking about the sentence or two that they use to promote and advertise the book? If you mean the latter, that's actually called a "tagline". Typically tag lines aren't copyrighted. However, it's generally a good idea to come up with your own. Look to others for inspiration. Ask yourself what you like and dislike about them. Use that knowledge to come up with your own.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Writing Books

Johnathan Clayborn

I can answer a broad range of questions about both academic and creative writing. I can answer questions about APA format, research and references, essay structure and more. I am particularly helpful in the areas of character development, storyline development, etc. and I can provide authors with an array of tools to help them organize their work.

I minored in English for my Bachelor's degree. I have also written several books and I run a small publishing company (before you ask, we're not accepting submissions at this time). I have written both fiction and non-fiction books and I have been published in newspapers and written articles for major internet websites.

Alpha Chi, Psi Chi, Kappa Delta Pi, APA

MS, Educational Psychology, BS Psychology (English minor)