Writing Books/first liners

Question
Hello again,
I am sorry to pepper you with questions.

I have been studying first liners of best selling books. Is it ok to use another writer's line, or a sentence here or there?

Answer
Hi Yvonne, no worries, ask questions! :)

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to here. Are you talking about the first sentence of a book? Or are you talking about the sentence or two that they use to promote and advertise the book? If you mean the latter, that's actually called a "tagline". Typically tag lines aren't copyrighted. However, it's generally a good idea to come up with your own. Look to others for inspiration. Ask yourself what you like and dislike about them. Use that knowledge to come up with your own.

I hope that helps.

Kind Regards,
-Johnathan  

Writing Books

Johnathan Clayborn