Writing Books/Which voice to write in?

Dear Ms. Rand,
My writing of this upcoming book was complied in diary format. Since refining it, my husband and I are thinking of coauthoring since much of the content is about his experiences regarding our shipwreck that we have been recovering since 1987; some information goes further back in time. The problem I am facing is which voice to write in. It started out in my voice having interviewed my husband and continuing when I married him forward. Ideally I would like to have the first few chapters in my husbands first person voice giving all first hand accounts of the events as they happened in the early years, followed by a third person voice in a chapter telling the story of who he is, then a chapter where the story is told by myself, where I get involved and all the events that followed in our married-to-the-shipwreck life. Or... should I strictly write in first or third person? Kind regards,Yvonne

Hello Yvonne:

By all means, write it as you want to. I think hearing from your husband the background of the event combined with yours following would be a great way to experience your tale.

Rules are made to be broken. Don't let anyone tell you it has to be this or it has to be that.It's your story, write it like you want to.

Thank you for writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication