Writing Books/Breaking up book into chapters

Question
QUESTION: Hello Bobbie Christmas,

I am a poet/writer in the process of writing a book. It is unique in the sense that it is a series of life events with my poetry interwoven into it. Essentially I will tell the back stories to my poetry by going in depth as to how each piece was inspired or came about. I am having trouble on understanding how to break up the book into chapters. For example many of my pieces are of my upbringing (father, mother, brother, etc.) some pieces my be about love, others about adversity. How do I break this up into chapters? I am kind of at a stand still until I truly understand how to accomplish this however when I do I feel I will be off to the races and most of my content is already written. Please assist. Sincerely, IQ the Poet."

ANSWER: As you have probably learned, no rules exist for breaking books into chapters. The only thing that applies is that information should flow in a logical manner. Does this mean it has to be chronological? No. It sounds to me that you have the following overall topics: father, mother, brother, love, and adversity. There may be more than you listed, but we’ll use these as an example. With topics in mind, you may want to think in terms of sections, rather than chapters, with each section labeled by topic.

Did you like this answer? Would you like to read dozens more questions asked by people like you and answered by Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas? If so, order Ask the Book Doctor: How to Beat the Competition and Sell Your Writing by following this link: http://zebraeditor.com/book_ask_the_book_doctor.shtml.

For the ultimate reference book for book editors and for writers who want to edit their own books, order Purge Your Prose of Problems by following this link: http://zebraeditor.com/book_purge_your_prose_of_problems.shtml

QUESTION: Ah Yes, this makes total sense.  But then how would this affect the table of contents?  Would it then be labeled according to topic? Thank you so much for such a quick response.

Answer
If it were me, I would list the sections in the table of contents and then under each section list the titles of each item that appears in that section and the page numbers that start those items, be they poems or in-depth essays.
The table of contents might then look something like this (note that I see the layout gets a little screwy in this format; the numbers should align, but I think you will get the picture):

Section I: Mother

Nurture versus Nature…4
Where Were You?........   5
Loving Arms……………7
Missing Mom……………9

Section II: Father

New Parenthood………11
Fly Fishing……………..13
Wise Counsel………….16
Lost Opportunity………20

Section III: Brother

Etc.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas