Writing Books/fiction based on real people

Question
Will I face any legal problem if I write a parody of a real event, and use the names of the real characters involved in that event? The event took place in about 1980, and many of the people are still living.

Answer
That's not a simple question to answer. A lot depends on who the people are and how you portray them.

In general, broadly speaking, you can use real people in fiction. Celebrities often show up on fiction, and they're pretty much fair game, as that's one of the prices of fame. Regular old civilians are another matter. They have more legal protections than celebrities.

The question really boils down to this: if a real person can recognize him-/herself in a work of fiction (no matter if you've given a different name), would they be upset at how they are portrayed? If there's a chance of yes, you might want to reconsider.

In any case, civilian or celeb, you do not want to portray them inaccurately, e.g., don't portray them saying or doing something they'd never say or do.

You can certainly t read it on libel law (and you should), but hopefully this will give you some guidance.  

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales