Writing Books/Agents

Question
Hello:
Is there a way to find out which agents have made the best deals for beginning writers? Or the deals that an agent has made? Are there possibly any listings?

Thanks

Answer
Dear Demetrius:

From your mouth to God's ear we should be able to learn about deals agents have made.  Alas it is the most closely guarded topic of all.  The best you can do is find out if an agent will even consider reading a query from a beginning writer.

There is a book available, several actually, that list agents.  My apologies but I didn't take the time to go to Amazon.com to look them up.  Wanted to get right to answering your question.  Just search for literary agents and Amazon will bring up a list.  Writer's Market is good.  Another good one is Literary Agents, I believe by agent John Herman but don't quote me on that!  There's also a very helpful site I found recently called authorlink.com.  I've picked a couple of agents out of their lists I'm going to try myself.

All you can do is read the listings.  They will often list the authors they represent with book titles.  You can track those down at the bookstore or searching the web if you aren't familiar with the author names.  I weed out any agency that's been in business for less than five years.  I want to know they're going the distance but with only five years in they're still a little hungry.

Finally, a web search on literary agents will bring you a ton of options.  Start high.

Good luck, Demetrius.  Let me know how you make out.  If I can ever help again I'm right here at experts.

Liz Aleshire
www.lizaleshire.com

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire