Writing Books/Agents and Contracts

If you bring a manuscript to an agent, can he or she sell your idea or an idea similar to yours? Should you sign a contract that says they can?

Hi Demetrius,
Sorry about the delay in responding, but I have been travelling from Morocco back to Australia.

I would not worry about an agent taking your ideas and selling them. Any agent who attempted to do such an unethical thing would be out of business in no time. Agents work on trust and in order to work with them you do need to trust them. If you do have concerns, make certain all communications are marked "in confidence".

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon

Author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a memoir and children's fiction.I can work with people on the process of writing, what to expect and ask for from an editor. How to work with the publisher`s marketing and publicity people. And how to survive book launches and publicity tours!

Published author of 22 plays, 12 bestselling thrillers, a young adult and three non-fiction titles. Visit his Moroccan blog at for a look at his blogging work.

St Andrews, Helsinki University and other institutions. Adult Educator of the Year Award, Australia