Writing Books/Agents

Question
Do you recommend a writer (1st novel, 5 screenplays) go through an agent or go it alone when attempting to get his first book published?

Answer
Unfortunately, there's no uniform answer to your question.  Publishers vary in their preferences.  Some will work only with agents.

My suggestion:  try yourself; you always can go to an agent later, and you just might connect on your own, especially in light of your experience.

My personal preference would be to have an attorney rather than a literary agent handling contractual matters in any event, and he/she may be the only one you need.  Today's complexities are such that handling one's own contractual affairs is too risky for my blood.

Writing Books

E.W. Brody