Writing Books/Beginner Writer

I have an idea for a story but i'm not sure where to start. Its sort of a Sci-fi/modern era type of story. Was just wondering if you could give me a few pointers or direct me to a good website for resources.

Very Respectfully,
Garret M DuPont

This is a pretty broad question, and I'm not entirely certain what you mean by not knowing where to start.  I also have no idea how much of a "beginner writer" you are.  Are you asking where to begin with regard to putting the actual story on paper, or with regard to laying the groundwork (character creation, plot points, etc.), or what?  

If you're not already experienced as a writer, then that's where you start.  Go to your local mega bookstore and browse their shelves in the writing section.  Pick out two or three books that seem to cover the things you personally need.  If what you need is "everything," then get books that cover everything.  

It's much easier to write a story when you know who the players are, so don't skimp on creating your major characters.  You should have a very thorough knowledge of your major characters before you ever write one sentence of the story itself.

I could go on, but hopefully that's helpful to you.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales

I am a speculative fiction novelist (fantasy, science fiction, and so on). While I may be able to answer questions on non-fiction, my specialty is fiction. Please keep that in mind when asking questions.

For four years, I taught a series of fiction writing classes in Sacramento, CA.

BA in fiction writing.

My 2004 novel, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, won BEST FICTION in Fresh Voices 2006, BEST FICTION and BEST YA FICTION in the NCPA Book Awards, and placed as a finalist in BEST BOOKS 2005. In 2002, my novel WISH YOU WERE HERE won awards for Best Fantasy and Best Fiction/Drama in the 8th Annual SPA Awards. My latest work is a trilogy titled THE MANY DEATHS OF DYNAMISTRESS (a superhero memoir). The first book, RECKONING, was released in 2013 and won the SF category in the 2014 San Francisco Book Festival, took second place in the 2013 Royal Dragonfly Book Awards for the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal category, second place in the SF category of the 2013 Reader Views Reviewers Choice Awards, and was finalist in Foreword's 2013 Book of the Year Awards, Fantasy category. The second book, REDEMPTION, will be released in early 2015 and the final book, RENAISSANCE, is scheduled for release in late 2016.