Writing Books/Book Idea- Done before?

Question
I have some budding ideas for a Sci-Fi book.  Is there any way to know if it is something that has been written before.  I cannot remember reading anything like it, though my list of red books is not that large, and I think they may be orriginal ideas, but I am wanting to make sure as to not be accused of plagurism.  Is this something I should worry about now or should I just write and see what happens?

Thanks for your time,
Matthew

Answer
Hello Matthew:

The only way I know of for you to determine if your ideas have been used before would be to read every SF book that has ever been published and every story, novella, etc.

Here's the good news. Ideas are not copyrightable. (Is that a word?) Only characters and the actual text of the book are copyrighted.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just write and see what happens. Make sure that the bulk of the book consists of your slant on the idea. Don't choose the first thing you think of, because it is bound to be a cliche. Think of 3-4 other things and pick the 5th. That way, you've got a chance it will be original.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 500+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand