Writing Books/Book Length

Question
Are publishers really interested in short novels (180 - 200 pages) or are they looking for books the length of Tom Clancy's or Gore Vidal's novels?  One reason I asked this question is because one literary agent said on his website that he's not interested in manuscripts with less than 65,00 word.

Another agent said he was receiving a lot of manuscripts between 40,000 - 50,000 words. Is this a bad thing?  

Answer
Dear Alan,
Thank you for your question. I know what you mean, because I tend to write short novels too. I think the next time I attempt one I'll have more subplots and possibly tell the story from more than one point of view. That will make the novel longer.
But, I would not want to impose those things on a short novel just for the sake of adding more words. You just tell the story and that's enough, no matter how many words it takes.
Anyway, to answer your question, all publishers are different. Perhaps those agents you mentioned work with particular publishers who only like novels of a certain kind. One thing you could do for inspiration is go to a bookstore and look at short novels to see where they are published.
At my page for writers I have posted some more good resources:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
I hope this helps,
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster