Writing Books/Book Presentations

Question
I've just published two political thrillers (a third will be out in '07).  I live in the U.S.  Anyway, I'll be doing my first book presentation at an independent bookstore in a few weeks time.  I've attended quite a number of such events over the years.  What I'd like to ask you, however, is whether you structure your oral presentations in a specific way that you find effective, or whether you more or less wing it or taylor it to your audience.  

I'll have 20-30 minutes to talk and read from my two books, then answer questions and do signings.  Any tips you can provide me would be most welcome.  Thanks.

http://www.lulu.com/JamesBruno

Answer
Hi Jim,
Happy New Year!  Over the last ten years I have done hundreds of these presentations and been a guest at hundreds more. It is very clear that the readings work best as short and sharp. I limit myself to no more than three paragraphs. I always talk first and read last. Although, if you have two books, a reading to start and end with a reading.

What works best is the author talking from the heart. Prepared, read scripts work very badly unless the author is a superb actor!  What people want is connection. Keep it short, humble and make eye contact. Always leave them wanting more.

All the best.

Sandy  

Writing Books

Sandy McCutcheon