Writing Books/Book idea

I have a great idea for a book, but i don't believe that i am a writer. I tried to develop characters and even start writing. Neither one of those worked for me.  My next thought was to try to outline what i feel like each chapter should be about.   I have also thought about selling my idea. I dont want someone to distort my idea. And i have thought about getting someone to help me write my book like a co-author My question what would be the best option to get my idea out and is there anyway that i can insure my idea so someone can't say that it belong to them?

Dear Christopher,
Thank you for your question. If you got the idea, then it's yours to develop. If you feel you cannot develop it, then you could possibly hire someone to write it with you. First decide what your budget will be. A writer may cost anywhere from free (for an amature) or $50 to $150 per hour for a professional. Writing a book can take hundreds of hours.
If you sink money into it, do it purely for the enjoyment of seeing your idea developed. The writing market is competitive and getting a novel published may be difficult. Even if you get it published, most novels sell between 1,000 to 5,000 copies and the author gets about $.50 - $1 per book.
You might be able to develop it as a screenplay, in which case it could earn more. However, the screenplay writing industry is very, very competitive. Everyone is writing a screenplay. The best way to sell a screenplay is to have a perfect, complete script, ready to go. However, getting  there is the problem. You can sell an idea or a treatment, but it's extremely difficult when there are so many perfectly written scripts available.
Another alternative is to write a good book proposal based on your idea and shop it around with some agents and publishers. If you find one who is interested, perhaps they can give you an editor to help you develop it. However, there again, it is very difficult because there are so many finished manuscripts that are available, which could be published with very little editing.
Also, writing a good book proposal might be difficult. If you hire someone to help you write the proposal, it could take far fewer hours and cost far less than writing the entire book.
It is amazing how a book comes to us, fully formed in the mind. You can visualize the whole story and how it turns out, the themes it will cover, who the characters are, etc. The problem is getting it to come down from the mind onto paper. If you want to give it another try, use the Fiction Writer's Workshop posted at my site.
If you want to find a ghost writer, Craig's List (http://craigslist.org) is a good place to start.
I hope this helps,

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at Amazon.com.

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme, Salon.com, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne), Rediff.com, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West, Rediff.com, Amazon.com.

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle, steamboats.com, surrealist.org, Apple Books, and others.