Writing Books/Book length

Question
Hi Susan,

Been writing a fiction book for what seems like ages, and the story line seems to be coming to an end at around 72000 words, do you think this is average, or do I need to try and stretch it out a bit more?
May have more questions, hope this is ok.

Colin

Answer
Hello Colin:

Of course it's ok if you come back with more questions - that's what we're here for!

As to length: only your publisher can say if you have enough words. Much depends on what words they are! If you will visit your library and wander among the shelves you will notice that some books are long and some are short. Bridges of Madison County is a small book, as is Animal Farm. Publishers may prefer books of 100,000 words or more, because they can charge more for them, but if the words are not the right words, they won't sell.

In other words, length is not so important as the impact of the words you have used.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 700 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand