Writing Books/Book organization

Hello Nori,
I am interested in writing a non-fiction/informative book.
I'm thinking around 300 pages.
I have no experience whatsoever.
Whats the best way to organize my thoughts and the book?
How much time will it take?
Are there any good websites that can help during this process?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks again.  

Dear David,
Thank you for your questions. The first step in writing a non-fiction book is to do a lierature review. That means you look up every book that's already been published on the subject. You need to know what's out there so you don't duplicate other authors' efforts, plus in your book proposal you need to tell publishers why your book stands out. Most books come to the author in a seed form. That is, you get a vision of the entire book in one flash. The next step is to download the manuscript from your mind onto paper. This is difficult and usually the first draft will not match what you see in your mind. A good way to get the book to come down in better form is described in the book, "Writing the Natural Way." You can find the book at my page for writers (click on the book cover to learn more).
It can take a long time to write a book. My first book took eight years, although the final version only took about 1-1/2 years. My positive thinking book took about a year to write. The book I'm working on now will take approximately two years. I'm only in the first year of it at this time.
The main thing to keep in mind is that no two books are alike. Every book is different. There is no "one way" to write your book. You need to find your own way. I hope the book, Writing the Natural Way, will help you.  You will also find some useful links posted at my page for writers. Write back if you want to discuss further.

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster

Writing and publishing books, including e-books.

I have been writing for publication since 1981, including years as a staff writer, associate editor, editorial writer, and freelance reporter. At this time, I have eight Kindle books for sale at

Lakes of Tempe Authors, Tempe, Arizona

Betrayal of the Spirit: My Life behind the Headlines of the Hare Krishna Movement
Dreaming Peace: Your Thoughts Can Change the World
Cult Recovery Handbook: Seven Paths to an Authentic Life
Child of the Cult
Learning to Flow with the Tao: The 64 Hexagrams of the I Ching
Positive Quotations: Wisdom from the Master Mind
Collected Writings: Five Books by Nori Muster
Noriland Art Gallery: Secrets from the Vault
Spiritual Summer and Other Short Stories

UCLA Extension Writer's Program, 1988 - 1994
Master's Degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Western Oregon University, 1991

USA Today, Los Angeles Times, BBC World Services Focus on Faith, BBC Sunday Programme,, Glamour Magazine, Portland Mercury News, W-Five TV (Toronto), Publisher's Weekly, Boston Phoenix, San Francisco Chronicle, ABC TV News - 20/20, ABC radio, Associated Press, The Age (Melbourne),, The New York Times, Religious News Service, Dallas Morning News, Columbia Journalism School, Whole Life Times (Los Angeles), Toronto Sun, the John Dayle Show (KFYI AM, Phoenix), the Eliot Stein Show (syndicated radio and Internet broadcast), Discovery with Josh Wagner (KKUP, 91.5 FM, Santa Clara, California), KOGO (News Radio 600, San Diego), Jupiterís Girl syndicated radio show, Lakes Log.

Book Reviews:
Publisherís Weekly, Feminist Bookstore News, Yoga Journal, New York Post, Choice Magazine, Boston Herald, Nexus (Colorado), Gentle Strength Times, Coastlines (UCSB alumni), Theology Digest, Nova Religio, Rapport, India West,,

Book Signings:
Prescott College reunion; Gentle Strength Co-op, Tempe; Different Drummer Bookshop, Laguna Beach; L.A. Times Toastmasters; Biltmore Plaza Border's Books, Phoenix; Bodhi Tree Bookstore, Los Angeles; Health & Life Enrichment Expo, Pasadena; Sacramento Reads book festival, and others.

ISKCON World Review, Van Dhal Publications, Gentle Strength Times, Arizona Woman, Lakes Log, ICSA Today, Cultic Studies Review, University of Illinois Press, Kindle,,, Apple Books, and others.