Writing Books/Book writing confidence

Question
Thank you for responding. I just have one more question. When you say finish it in rough draft form, do you mean to finish it and then send it off to an objective opinionator? Or do you mean to, once i am finished with the first draft, continue editing it until I like it and then send it? I am more prone to the second suggestion, but I am just making sure. Also, are 15 year olds even allowed to publish a book?
-------------------------

Followup To

Question -
I am currently in the process of writing a fiction book. However, I do not feel that it is good enough yet to divulge. When I am finished, I am planning on showing it to all of my friends and family for their opinion. But obviously, all of their views will not be completely objective. I want to know of a way that I can make sure it will be a success before I finish with it, as I have an idea already for another plot. Is it possible to tell you the plot of this story and get your feedback? If not, what can I do? Thank you for your time.

Answer -
Hello Hannah,

I believe that showing your work to family and friends is a No--No.  Finish the book in rough draft form. That means don't edit, correct, censor, restructure or do anything but create the story. When you finish it will be very rough. Then go back for all the polishing work. You will have to do as many rewrites as necessary until YOU are happy with it.  Then submit it to a professional critique such as "The Book Doctor".  I also do critiques of new works.  They will charge a fee but will be objective where your family and friends will not.  In an effort to be objective they may be even more critical than necessary.  Don't put that on them.

There is no way you can be convinced that your book will be a success. Even if it is published and has publicity, there is the matter of timing and luck. However, the better your work is the better chance it has.

Plot is important,but not nearly as important as prose, dialogue, character development, structure, grammar, etc. A very good book for the rewrite process is "Getting The Words Right".  It is by Cheney.  Get it and read it before you begin to rewrite.  And finish one book before you begin another.

Keep me posted on your progress?
Happy Writing,
Dorothy

Answer
Of course, Hannah, you will have to do all the editing and rewrite work before you submit it to a critic.  Then he or she will have many suggestions,I am sure, for you to work on even then.

You may begin discipline now by beginning to use correct grammar,  punctuation, capital letters where needed, in all your correspondence.  It is a good habit to get into.  And I don't know any reason why a 15 year old can't be published.

Keep working,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris