Writing Books/Building Ideas

Question
I have this problem where I write something and then the next day I think of something better to change it to (during my initial idea forming). It is annoying because I always think: I better just keep writing or I will never finish planning. But then the next day, when I read it I think it is really bad and substitute it with an even better idea, so everything takes TWICE as long. It's really annoying, what should I do?

Answer
Hi Vinni:

Just keep writing them down as they come to you. Number the different versions and put them aside. Don't waste time trying to figure out whether they are "really bad" or "really good." When you get a shoebox full of these ideas, go through them and file away the ones that seem to be dead.

It may be years before you will learn how to tell good writing from bad (at least as concerns your own). To develop this skill, you must read and read and read and analyze what you read. Also, you must study: check out books on writing and go through them, do the exercises (if any), make notes, etc. Try to incorporate the techniques into your own writing.

Join some writing forums and put your work up to be critiqued. Don't argue, don't say, "What I meant to say was " (If you meant that, you should have said that), and don't get defensive. These people are trying to help you.

I hope this helps, too. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 600 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand