Writing Books/Character Deaths

Without getting into too much details, I plan on ending my book by killing...well...everyone. It isn't a series and I would never make it into one. Everything else I need for the novel is there. Strong characters, good plot, plenty of conflict, and good climax, everything else.  But the ending of my book is the end of the world and everyone dying.  Would this automatically turn people off to my book?  Even if the conflict has resolution and the characters learn and develop within the book?

No, it wouldn't turn readers off-- not all stories have a happy ending.

You might leave a twist though, a hint of life in the ending... not conversation, or sight of a human that lived, but a tidbit to leave it to your readers' imaginations.

A rustling among a pile of rumble, in the bushes, something-- then the reader will think, "yeah, someone lived, someone.... " and therefore, you leave yourself open for a series to follow if your publisher wants it.

Give that ending just a twist, just a hint for their fertile imaginations, and you'll have a winner.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.