Writing Books/Character Deaths

Question
Without getting into too much details, I plan on ending my book by killing...well...everyone. It isn't a series and I would never make it into one. Everything else I need for the novel is there. Strong characters, good plot, plenty of conflict, and good climax, everything else.  But the ending of my book is the end of the world and everyone dying.  Would this automatically turn people off to my book?  Even if the conflict has resolution and the characters learn and develop within the book?

Answer
No, it wouldn't turn readers off-- not all stories have a happy ending.

You might leave a twist though, a hint of life in the ending... not conversation, or sight of a human that lived, but a tidbit to leave it to your readers' imaginations.

A rustling among a pile of rumble, in the bushes, something-- then the reader will think, "yeah, someone lived, someone.... " and therefore, you leave yourself open for a series to follow if your publisher wants it.

Give that ending just a twist, just a hint for their fertile imaginations, and you'll have a winner.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett