Writing Books/Characters

I am writing a book where the main character is Mr. Goody twoshoes in the eyes of everyone around him. He plays the part real well, but in reality he struggles with some deep dark secrets. It is extremely important to me that the reader really adores this character and has empathy for his struggles with his dark side. When I read it, I really don't feel like the reader will care about his plight right now...any suggestions?

Dear Joe:

Characters are not created in a vacuum.  I need more information on your work - story, plot, environment, etc. - in order to give you an answer that you can use.  Elements in any work are all connected and supportive of one another.

Max Roth

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor

My specialist area is literary and philosophical fiction. I am pleased to answer all queries regarding story, plot, character arc and development, environment, structure, theme, subtext, and conflict.

Past/Present clients
Numerous client references may be found at: http://www.successliterary.com under 'References'. Their contact information is available on request.