Writing Books/Characters

Question
When writing a story is it best to place a contradiction at the heart of every character? And how exactly do writers make some of their characters seem to posess some more illusive tendencies that others? In other words, how exactly do you have a main character that the reader feels they know personally, and have a secondary main character, on the other side of the plot that the reader feels like they cannot fully understand them?

Thanks much!
  -Jess

Answer
Hello Jessica,

It might be permissible to allow one character to be more inscrutible than another; however, before the story is finished, the hidden one must be explained. If not, the readers will assume that the creative writer did not even understand his own character and that would not be good.
How writers go about creating different sorts of characters cannot be answered in this short space. If you have any understanding of depth psychology, you will know just how complex the human mind is, and it is this complexity that we, as writers, attempt to show and demonstrate in our characters. My best advise is to allow the characters to show themselves as they are needed, to allow THEM to tell YOU who they are, allow them to help write the story, be sure they are always true to themselves, don't censor, don't edit, don't revise until you have one complete rough draft. Then go back to do the polishing work.
I hope this works for you,
Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris