Writing Books/Childern's book - self publishing & use of museum, famous painting

Question
Self-publishing, seems to be my way forward as I understand from the local bookstores, my book is too specific for the publishing companies. Have gone through the rejection letters from publishing companies.

1)In my children's ABC book about a city, am I allowed to use the names of museums, paintings without permission?
2) Writers Market, and Children's writers &illustrators books, do not contain self-publishing information. would you recommend any
3) Would you recommend self-publishing for a chidern's picture book?

Answer
Some publishers specialize in specific or regional books, so I wouldnít give up just yet with the idea of getting the book published traditionally, and Iíll tell you why. Expect to put out at least $1,000 and maybe much more if you self publish, and donít expect to make the money back, unless you have an outlet for your book. For example, if the book is written for a niche you can reach, say members of an organization or a profession, and you have inroads and ways to market to that group, the sales can be dismal.

The figures for self published fiction (novels and childrenís books) are even worse. Few self-published books sell more than 100 copies.

I suppose Iíve answered question number three first, and I know most determined writers wonít like my answer, but the problem with self publishing is distribution, and few bookstores will accept a self published book, because they are not easily returnable and rarely have any budget behind them and often are poorly written and not edited. Before you do self publish anything, be sure to get a professional to edit it from beginning to end, including the table of contents and the acknowledgments page. I see more typos on those pages than I can believe. For example, in the USA we spell the word with only one "e" -- acknowledgments. In Britain it's spelled acknowledgements. Check most self-published books in America, and it has the word spelled incorrectly, the British way.

In reverse order, Iíll tackle question number two next. Self-publishing information is best found on the Internet. I have heard statements for and against almost any self-publishing house out there, so the best bet is to compare carefully, get recommendations from people who have used the company, be sure you know what you are getting for your money, and move forward with all the knowledge you can get. Check my Web site for a few links to self-publishing houses I recommend. Either go to http://zebraeditor and click on Links or go directly to the links page by using this address: http://zebraeditor.com/links.shtml.

Are you allowed to use the names of famous places and paintings? Although this issue falls into the legal realm and I am not an attorney, from my lay person's understanding, as long as you donít say anything disparaging or incorrect about a place, painting, or other public place, person, or object, you can mention it with no repercussions. If youíd feel better checking with an entertainment attorney, see if there is a Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts chapter in your state and ask an attorney familiar with entertainment law.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas