Writing Books/Children's books

Question
Dear Nori,
I have a very unusual, the next "SpongeBob Squarepants" book which i think will go far.  However, this is my first.  I have sent query letters to some children's book agents in the NYC and will do the same with some big publishers.  The problem is I have a problem trusting them to send out all my work with manuscript and drawings which is what they ask.  I ask for a meeting but none would.  What is your advice?  What about copywright protection?  Them signing off a disclaimer?
You don't know how much i appreciate your answer,
annie

Answer
Dear Annie,
Thank you for your questions. The children's book market is highly competitive and difficult for new writers to break into. However, it sounds like you're doing the right things sending out inquiry letters with excerpts from the manuscript, examples of drawings, etc.
If you're worried about copyright protection, consider joining the Writer's Guild. They will put your idea on file so that if anyone later steals your idea, you can prove that you had the idea first. Another way to do it is to mail it to your attorney and tell him/her not to open the envelope, but to keep it on file. That way, if there's any question later on, the sealed and postmarked envelope will show when you had the idea.
There is no magic way to find a publisher, except to keep trying. If you want me to look at your inquiry letter and give feedback, i'll be happy to do it.
Sincerely,
Nori

P.S. At my page for writers i have posted a page called How to Find a Publisher. Also, if you don't have it already, there is a Children's Market Place directory available. You can see it at my Good Writing Books link.
http://steamboats.com/writing.html

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster