Writing Books/Competitive Analysis

Question
I’m researching a nonfiction book.  What can I do to see what other books are already out on my topic?  

Answer
Thanks for asking MLB.  Your question directly addresses one of the most difficult components of a nonfiction book proposal.  The section is called 'Competition' and it should list anywhere up to ten books that are on the same topic, or close to it, as your book.

The resources to do this are:  any on line bookstore and a publication titled Subject Guide to Books in Print.  I'll start with the Subject Guide.  It is on-line but just like the old printed form, it's prohibitively expense to subscribe as an individual.  Check with your local library.  I've never found a library, not matter how small, that didn't have some way to access Subject Guide to Books in Print.  So, when you have access, here's what you do.  Let's say your book is on antique weathervanes.  So, in the Subject Guide, you'll look under weathervanes.  You'll also look under antique weathervanes.  And under just plain antiques.  You might even take a gander at collecting and collectibles.  In short, think of as many different ways to describe your topic and look them all up. When you find other books on your topic, record the title, author, publisher, city of publication, year of publication and ISBN.  I would only include on my list the books that were published in the last three years.  Anything older than that is probably woefully out of date.  So now you have a list of all the books out there on the topic of weathervanes.

Now go to an online bookstore, Amazon.com, Borders, Waldens, etc.  Search for the title of each book on your list and read the descriptions that come up and any reviews that are listed.  For each one, note how your book is different, hence better!  If, god forbid, you do find a book that is exactly like yours, go back to the drawing board and see what you can add to yours to make it different.  Remember, the best selling type of book is the cook book.  And I'd certainly think we have enough of them!  But they just keep getting published.  So, the fact that there may already be a book out on your topic shouldn't discourage you.  Find a new slant, or twist, on the topic.

This does take time, MLB, but it's worth it!  You'll make serious, big time points with the editors and agents if you already know what your competition is and how to make your book better.

Good luck!  If, and only if, you feel my answer was helpful, please consider filling out the review below.

Liz Aleshire
Private Lives of Ministers' Wives
www.lizaleshire.com  

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire