Writing Books/Copyright question

Question
Greetings:  I am writing a book about the cinema.  Part of my plan is to explore many of the great moments in films.  To do this, I must quote lines from movies.  Do I need permission for direct quotes?  Some of the films would be from the 30's and 40's.  How would I go about getting permission?  Thanks for your help.  Larry

Answer
Hello Larry,

It's been my experience that when writing a non-fiction using actual, documented facts, that as long as you list where this information is found in your bibliography you should be okay. Just make sure your facts are correct and give credit where credit is due.

J.L.

Writing Books

J.L. Slipak