Writing Books/Copyright question

Greetings:  I am writing a book about the cinema.  Part of my plan is to explore many of the great moments in films.  To do this, I must quote lines from movies.  Do I need permission for direct quotes?  Some of the films would be from the 30's and 40's.  How would I go about getting permission?  Thanks for your help.  Larry

Hello Larry,

It's been my experience that when writing a non-fiction using actual, documented facts, that as long as you list where this information is found in your bibliography you should be okay. Just make sure your facts are correct and give credit where credit is due.

Writing Books

J.L. Slipak

Novel writing is my specialty but I've several articles advocating for human rights and the rights of special needs. I've also written children stories, historical romance, fantasy, trilogies, and non-fiction. I have editorial experience and have worked with literary agents, self-publishing, publishing companies in both the United States and Canada. I imagine I can answer any questions asked about this field, and if not, can direct the question to someone who could.

six articles, two novels, three children's books, two triologies and currently working on an auto-biography

BFA, working towards my masters