Writing Books/Copywrite

Question
Hello Bobbi, My question is after a book is written how do I go about protecting my work with a copywrite before sending off for prospects.  I've done research but I would like your advice also.  Is the standard initialing acceptable? Would I need to initial each page? Would I need to get it notarized so that the idea cannot be taken by someone else?  Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.   Thanks, Lisa

Answer
Thank you for writing, Lisa.

According to current law, you own the rights to your copy—hence copyright, rather than copywrite—the moment you complete a body of work. If you find that someone has used your material without permission, you have the right to sue, whether you registered the copyright or not. You don’t have to initial the manuscript, register it, get it notarized, or anything, because it is your intellectual property already, and the law automatically protects you, should anyone use your material without your permission.

If you send your manuscript to an editor, publisher, or agent, they know the law, too, and they will not steal your material. When editors, agents, or publishers see that the author has copyrighted a manuscript, they know they are dealing with a person who is either an amateur or paranoid or both, and I'm sure you don't want to leave them with that impression.

Manuscripts are always open to change, whereas copyrights are not, so the time to register a copyright is right before a book goes to press, when it is in its absolute final form. If you plan to self publish, right before the book goes to press, you may register your copyright by following the procedures outlined on the following government Web site:  http://www.copyright.gov/register/literary.html.  

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas