Writing Books/Credentials for fiction?

Question
An agency asks on its website writing credentials with its query. I thought that was unusual as most agencies will judge your writing by the sample chapters sent and/or story and not credentials. What does this mean?

Answer
Dear Demetrius:

Unfortunately agents and publishers want to know if anyone else has taken a chance on you and published your writings.  If you don't have any writing credits then think about what areas of expertise you have that you used in the book.  For instance, if you are a nuclear physicist and your protagonist is also a nuclear physicist then your credentials are that you know the language you used and the events you described in relation to nuclear physics is accurate.  And so will the editor/publisher.  So it isn't just writing credits they want but what areas of expertise you brought to your book even if that's only that you did an enormous amount of research for it to make it accurate even though it's fiction.

Sell yourself, Demetrius, tell them why you and only you could write the book you want them to represent.  It's another of those impossible things you have to do that will go away as soon as your first book is published.

Good luck!

Liz

Writing Books

Liz Aleshire