Writing Books/Editing - Non-Fiction

Followup To
Question -
Hi Susan,
I was wondering how can I go about finding people to edit a book, and how much would it cost. I am not a writer, do no aspire to be one, however I am currently writting a "funny" book about being an immigrant, coming to America, working as Nanny and my journey to get the Green Card. I have been through so many funny situations since I have arrived in America (15 years ago), that everybody I told my stories, would always say: "You should right a book about that", so I am. What would make the book even more funny, would be to write with the proper accents as well. I was part of a group of Nannies that came from all over the world. My English was entirely learned on the streets and also with the British and Irish Nannies, so I am definitely going to need somebody to edit for me. I am an avid reader, and that helped with my English, but only spoken, not written. I think it could be quite an interesting story since, I have not read many books about the Nanny's side of the story, and the goofiest things that immigrants do.
Please let me know also what do you think of the idea.

Thanks for your time.
Answer -
Dear Josi:

So you want to write a book, that's wonderful! It certainly sounds like something I would love to read!

Now, how are you to find an editor? First, I would go to my favorite search engine ( is the most popular, I believe) and type in "freelance editors for manuscripts." I just did, and came up with 14,700 hits. Editors are also known as "Book Doctors." I'm sure that among those you can find one that suits you. I also do editing/proofreading, for $2.50 per page. I do not check facts, but I can help you arrange your work so that it flows, and keeps the reader's attention. Also fix spelling errors, cut the useless stuff, and correct the grammatical blunders. I really don't know what others charge, but I will check it out.

Second, I would go to and the Microsoft groups and find a writers' group to help me with my story. People there are not, generally, professional editors, but they can certainly help you to iron out the wrinkles. They can also provide the kind of support a writer needs to keep slogging along until it's finished.

Third, there are books at all libraries on how to write, edit what you write, and when you feel it's ready, present it for publication. Your local community college and perhaps your county Parks and Recreation Department might offer classes for very little money. You can educate yourself, of course, but it takes a very long time that way.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 200+ questions!

And good luck with your book!

Hello Susan.
Thanks for your response.
Just to clear it out, I am quite old to go to school (I am 39) and I work long hours, no time for much. I am taking my time and doing a lot of research in writing this "adventure" per say, via internet, yahoo sounds like a great idea.
I would certainly like you to edit it for me when the time comes. I am still writing.
I do not know how long I am going to take to finish. Your price is great and you seem to be so full of knowledge and experience in this.
Like I said, I have no aspirations in the writing business, I am a Techonology Manager and a geek that loves computer, I love my job and I earn quite well.
Can I look for you in this site when the time comes? Would you still be here even if it takes me 5 months or so to finish?
If you have any recomendations of books (to write books) I would love to hear it. At least to help me out a bit. There are too many choices out there in this subject.

Again, thank you so much.

Dear Josi:

First I must apologize, this is the first time I have seen this question, and the first time I have seen allexperts stick a new question on behind an old one. Forgive me for my lack of timeliness.

There is no way to tell if I will be here in 5 months, but if we lived our lives that way we wouldn't get anything done! Let's proceed as though we will both be here, and also that you will have finished a first draft in 5 months. I see you have very little time, but get a small notebook and take advantage of those times when you are sitting, waiting, to jot down a few words. Buy a tape recorder and record the story when you are driving. Save out 1/2 hour from your day to write. Make it a priority, and it will get done. While you are writing this first draft, try not to judge it, and don't let questions like "Is this any good?" bog you down. Just keep writing as ideas occur to you. If you are able, try to get the beginning and the end firmly in mind, but don't be surprised if the story takes you elsewhere!

When you have finished your draft, come back and we will see about the editing.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 200+ questions.

And good luck with your book!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication