Writing Books/Everyday writing

Question
It is plain obvious that in order to improve ones writing skills everyday writing attempts are more than necessary as they make the whole process more fluid and natural. For a year and a half I have truly been guided by the idea that practice makes perfect (or in my case, slightly better), and this consequently led to my everyday writing, even at times when I was not at all in the mood to write anything. Sometimes during this process I appreciated and admired the beauty of my native language (Croatian), but then there were as well times when some aspects of it frustrated me, bringing me to a point of complete bedazzlement.

Needles to say after couple of months I noticed that my style drastically improved, but unfortunately what more I noticed was the decline of energy (or one could say creativity) in shaping sentences that were previously packed with metaphors and symbolism, now only to feel drain and empty. As if the imagination which guided me in the process of describing those delicate, unnoticeable details withered away, and with it the subtle beauty of a dazzling expression. The more I thought about my present state of writing, the more I had this unsettling feeling that everyday writing is maybe not the best way to go. I canít help now but to see that a lot of energy and creativity that accumulates in the non writing period becomes an impulse, a desire which at a certain point explodes in its fullness, forcing the artist to finally convert this energy into words imbued with meaning and vibrant playfulness, compared to somewhat dreary everyday writing creations.

With this said, I have to admit that I am rather lost in deciding if I should continue with the practice of everyday writing, since it is painfully obvious that I am far away from writing anything worth publishing in terms of style and the imaginative control of language, while at the other hand I unquestionably need some time off from writing. Basically, I can loosen up for a couple of weeks. That is not the issue, the question lies in the long term approach. If I would now, for example, embrace the approach of writing sporadically (and at the same time more creatively), as an unavoidable consequence my technical writing skills would improve at much slower rate or would even stagnate. And if that would be the case, what worth is then having well thought general ideas when those cannot be accurately and artistically manipulated to ones liking (for how many times do I sometimes feel that language is in control of me, and not the other way around)? Although, observed from another angle, the difficulty maybe lies in this maddening desire to constantly surpass all my previous attempts, but unfortunately it seems that one never comes to terms with such a devilish drive. Truth be told, I really donít know how to satisfyingly solve this developmental problem, which is the reason why I am asking a more experienced writer for a word of guidance.

In advance, I thank you for your answer.

Answer
Hello Ivor,

You are making a classical mistake in trying to do creative writing (right brain work) from your editing, critical left brain. It won't work.  You must find a good story to tell, put aside your critical brain and get the story down. It will be rough and full of errors, but it will be fresh and alive. After you write "The End" is the time to go back and do all  the editing and "prettifying" in many re-writes.

Happy writing,
Dorothy  

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris