Writing Books/Evil character

Question
I am trying to write a book but the main character is evil. She likes to play tricks on people but then she does more nasty things. The thing is I want her to be someone that people sort of like. So she has some sort of charm and style that makes her likeable, I was wondering if you could help me by telling me how to make that view be put across.

Answer
Dear Anon,

Question .. Why do you want someone who is evil and who plays tricks on people to be liked?  Why not show evil for what it is and good for what it is?  Why try to mix the two?  If you mean simply mischief, that is one thing, but evil?  Nasty? Likeable?  I would rather see a treatment of good and evil, with the characters being true to themselves rather than see them contrived to be liked.  

Yes, it is true that not all bad people are ALL bad and not all good people are ALL good. We all are a mixture, but one or the other predominates.  Charm and style are neither good nor evil, but they can be used for manipulation, especially charm.  You can employ weakness, which is
neither good nor evil, and strength, which can be used for both.  Your story would come across to me as though you approve and admire evil. Is that what you want to convey?  I think that is the main question you need to ask yourself.

I particularly admire the English writing style where characters are intense ... good is very good, evil is very evil, daft is very daft, etc, etc., and everyone in the end gets his just deserts.  So think about what message you want to send to your readers, and then go from there.

I hope I have helped in some way to clarify.  If not, I apologize.

Happy writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris