Writing Books/Fiction and College

Question
I'm interested in a career in writing various types of fiction, and i'm not sure where to start.

I'm a california resident, and currently I am looking into a program at San Fransisco State to major in Creative Writing - This seems like a good Idea and all, but I feel like I should know more than "i'm going to study writing at SFSU," what sort of thigns should I be looking into?

Answer
Dear Sean,
Thank you for your question. That sounds like an amazing opportunity. A college education goes a long way toward preparing you for a good future. No matter what you study, the real learning is to find out who you are and what your place is in this world. Writing is a good skill that you can use in a lot of different professions. Of course, everybody would like to hole up and write novels for a living, or poetry. However, most people find it hard to make a living that way. A successful book may only earn $2,000 to $5,000, and that won't pay the rent.
Along with classes for your major, experiment with electives in other fields and look for a practical way to apply your skills. Most professions require writing, so you might find a good future in business, teaching, research, advertising, public relations, law, or science. If you get into a profession you can support yourself and a family, or whatever your plans are. College is the time to decide "what you want to be," but it doesn't have to be a final decision. Most people change careers at least five times in their lifetime. So throw your heart into learning in college: learn to write, learn history, learn American literature - or whatever your heart leads you to try.
Sincerely,
Nori

P.S. Here is my page for writers: http://steamboats.com/writing.html

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster