Writing Books/Fiction Writing Assignment

Question
Dear Nori,

Thank you for responding to my last email. The beginning of this assignment titled "Ideas for the story" asks me to write down my own past experience. I have completed that segment. The following parts ask me to write about characters related to the story. This is very frustrating since I have no idea what the story is yet. But, I do know what themes I want to write about. Can I create a story based on a theme? Even if I create characters for segment B, they would consist of simple diagrams such as: antagonist-people representing an obstacle; the inner struggle within the hero; reinvention. Am I in need of a master's degree?

Answer
Hi Joe,
You don't need a master's degree, but you may feel like it's just as much work!
You will need a story and characters, unless it's just the narrator talking. However, even in that case, your narrator must be a character, of sorts.
I recommend that you write out your ideas without characters and see how it looks. Just write and write and write until your idea is on paper. Don't worry about conserving words - you have to waste a lot of them to get the thing from your head onto paper. Sounds like an interesting project. Feel free to write back as it evolves.
Nori  

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster