Writing Books/Fiction Writing Assignment

Question
Dear Nori,
Thank you very much for referring me to your Dear site. I read through your writing workshop and I'm very interested in tackling the assignment. I am a little confused about the outcome. I am not looking for a easy way to write a book. It just seems that if I use the assignment as a guide, that the story might seem coerced. I seriously don't even know what my question is. I guess I'm a bit nervous about putting my efforts into a task that I have no idea how it will turn out. Thanks for being available.
Sincerely,
Joe

Answer
Hi Joe,
Glad you liked the Fiction Writers Workshop. It's basically the same material that you would get by signing up for the Writer's Digest Novel Writing Workshop. I took that course in 1991 and then wrote my own version of it.
The main point is to get to know your characters as well as if they were real people in your life. You must know them inside and out - the exercises just help you do that. Once you know them, you will know how the will react to the circumstances that will confront them.
Write back if you want to discuss further.
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster