Writing Books/Finding an Agent

I am planning on writing a book, it's real life, but fictional, and it's a novel, not a biography or anything. Could you give me some names and email addresses for literary agents that specialize in that field, and if not, could you suggest a book I could buy that'll help me?

You're correct that if you plan to write a novel (a book of fiction) you will need an agent; however, don't put the cart before the horse. Unlike nonfiction, which many publishers will buy before it is written, fiction must be completed and polished before you pitch it to an agent or publisher. No agent will accept a client with an idea; agents and publishers buy books, not ideas.

Agents and agencies change daily. If you research agents today, by the time your book is finished, the agent may have changed agencies or addresses, gone out of business, or died.

After you write your book, polish it, have it edited professionally, revise it a final time, and are ready to send it out, then you can research agents using books such as Literary Marketplace, Writer's Market, or Guide to Literary Agents or sign up for The information will be much fresher and more accurate at that time than it would if you researched agents now and did not use the information until you finished your book.

Writing Books

Bobbie Christmas

Book Doctor Bobbie Christmas owns Zebra Communications, a book-editing firm in metro Atlanta. She not only edits books, she also helps writers power up their prose to increase their chances of success. She is the author of Write In Style (Union Square Publishing), a creative-writing guide that won three awards.

Bobbie has spent more than 40 years in the publishing and communications industry and has run Zebra Communications, a book-editing company, since 1992. The editor of many publications and periodicals, she has worked with book publishers and trade magazine publishers as well as working in marketing communications and corporate communications.

Past president, Georgia Writers Association; past vice president, South Carolina Writers Workshop; charter/lifelong member, Florida Writers Association; Southeastern Writers Association; Atlanta Writers Club; Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL); International Guild of Professional Consultants

Write in Style (Union Square Publishing), A Cup of Comfort (Adams Media Corporation), A Cup of Comfort for Friends (Adams Media), A Cup of Comfort for Mothers and Sons (Adams Media), Haunted Engounters (Atriad Press), Remembering Woolworth's (St. Martin's Press), First-Time Home Buyer magazine, HomeBusiness Journal, Apparel Industry Magazine, Edge Magazine, Atlanta Jewish Times, Time Travel Australia, American Writers Review, Points North, That's Entertainment, Atlanta Parent, Agnes Scott Alumnae Magazine, etc.

Journalism: University of South Carolina plus four decades of working in publishing, marketing, communications, advertising, newspaper and magazine production, book publishing, etc.

First Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers Annual Contest, 2005; First Place, education, Royal Palm Literary Award, 2004; Best in Division, Georgia Author of the Year Awards, 2005; Finalist, Best Books 2005, USA BookNews Third Place, nonfiction, Georgia Writers, 1999; Nominated for Georgia Author of the Year, 1998; plus many other awards

Capital Books, Sourcebooks, Olin Frederick, The Writer's Machine, Russell Dean & Company, Outskirts Press, and hundreds of writers.