Writing Books/Finding a publisher

I've wanted to write a book for a while on the human element of
network security. Lets face it, people are the weakest link a lot of
the time. It'd be geared towards small and medium sized
businesses and will explain (in easy to understand detail) how to
secure their network, protect assets including intellectual

While I think I have the skills to write such a book, I am totally
clueless about finding a publisher. How does one start? Which
publisher is best for this type of book?

Any advice will be greatly received.

Thanks in advance,

Hello Chris:

Now Chris, we are getting ahead of ourselves here. It is pointless to even think about publishers until you have written the book. That energy should be put into the writing. Besides, by the time you get the book done, things may have changed drastically in the field.

Here are a few facts you may not have considered:

1. As a general rule, publishers no longer accept "unsolicited manuscripts." What you will need first is an agent. Many writers seem to believe that once their book is finished, it's only a matter of chosing which one you want. Wrong. You don't choose them, they choose you.

2. There are numerous ways to find agents: on the Net, in a book or books at your library; on writers' forums. Agents have picked up the burden of screening writers, and some will even help you with revisions.

3. The agent knows or should know publishers who are interested in this type of material. You'd want to ask them if they do.

You might also consider self-publishing, Put your book up on a website and sell it "on demand." Or, you might approach one of the "vanity" publishers and pay to have your book printed.

The most important thing is to write the book! Ask yourself, if I never earned a single dime from this book, would I still want to write it?

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 800 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication