Writing Books/My First Book

Hi, i'm 13 from UK, i'm writing my first story, well short story. it's about 15 pages long so far but i'm not sure whether it'll be long enough. it's about two people who fall in a deep river and get sucked to the bottom and into another world. what do you think? got any ideas?

Thanks From Tom!

Hello Tom,

So young to be writing- I am impressed. You have a good head start on the craft.

Stories are two categories: short stories and stories.

Write. Just write it thoroughly. Don't worry about word count or number of pages as you write.

Generally speaking, short stories range from 1000-3000 words. Stories range from 3000 and up. Maybe up to 4-5000. Then it becomes what is referred to as a "novella."

The story idea is great and holds a lot of fantastic potential to be a novella or novel.

You shouldn't have any problems with length. 15 pages is not that much per se. If you are writing it on a computer in a word processor such as Word, MS Works, etc. do a word count to let you know how much so far.

But, I wouldn't worry about that at this point. You might get a good novella out of it and a lot of online magazines and sites want novella submissions.

Good luck, and if I can help you further, feel free to ask my anything.

Writing Books

Jannie Balliett

I am a published writer, Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing, specializing in novel writing, and creative writing. I can answer most any question concerning writing a book, plot and characterization, tighten the prose, and the editing process, and help advise with publishing and the requirements of obtaining a literary agent.

I'm a published writer, freelancer, and Chief Editor and own A1 Editorial Service. I teach writing for my two Online writer workshops.

Sisters In Crime Internet Chapter, The Short Mystery Fiction Society, and Brazos Writers Group.

Writers Post Journal magazine, May 2006 issue, Augusr 2006 issue, Nov/December 2006 issue and soon in 2008, On A Whim, flash fiction anthology, offered in Barnes & Nobles and Amazon.

Some college, creative writing, fiction writing

I have numerous clients using my service through my editorial service and numerous members in my Online writer workshops.