Writing Books/Hello. I need the BASIC information....

Question
Hello.  I need the BASIC information.  I have a few ideas about writing a book, but I don't know how to organize my ideas and actually get started. And once I have written a book, exactly what does publication entail (how do you find a publisher, how long does it take, how do you get the book on the market, who actually pays me if the book is good, how much profit can be expected,etc . . . )?  I didn't even realize that an agent was needed, until reading your expertise, sample questions.  Why is an agent necessary?

Answer
Dear Raquel,
Thank you for your letter. You will find a lot of the answers at my page for writers:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
If you're writing a novel, check out the Fiction Writers Workshop. Also read my article on how to find a publisher. The field is competitive, but if you have a good book to sell, and you are persistent, you can probably sell it. The publisher will pay you an advance when you sign the contract and turn in your manuscript, then if it goes into additional printings, you will get royalties. You probably don't need an agent until you have published several books and have a following.
If you have anymore questions after reading the material at my site, feel free to write back.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster