Writing Books/Help

Question
HI, I dont know how much you can help me, But I am a non-experienced writer with a load of pretty cool stories waiting to be put on paper. I just have no idea what to do first. I'd really like to turn on my comp., and just start typing, however, I dont know if thats the best step to take. OK, now lets say I'm finished writing, how do i get it out there. An agent perhaps? I'm super stuck LOL.
Please your help would be thoroughly appreciated.

Answer
Hello Shaunaire,

I'll help you by giving you step 1 - finish.

1.  Write a rough draft of the entire story, approximately 200 pages.  This draft will be quite rough. You will not worry about correctness, editing, structure, etc. You will only get the story, action and dialogue down on paper.

2. First rewrite. Here you will begin the structure, add and delete, rearrange, make readable. You should end with about 300 pages.

3.  Second rewrite. Now begin to polish. Think about correct grammar, word usage, sentence and paragraph structure...all the things that make the book readable and enjoyable. You may have more or less pages, but aim for no less than 275 and no more than 400 for a first novel.

4.  Now and only now may you allow someone to read any part or all of it. Make sure the reader is an honest, capable critic and will give you an honest assessment.

Hope this helps. If you need help on the first draft, with characters, action, dialogue, let me know.
Happy Writing,
Dorothy

Writing Books

Dorothy K Morris