Writing Books/Help.

I've been interested in writing and creating novels since I was about the age of ten. I'm getting bored with how life is going and I don't want to die knowing my life has been wasted, so I want to get an extremely excellent novel done, but I want outside help from someone who's been able to thrill many people with his or her creation. Do you know how I could get into contact with Anne Rice, or other famous and well known novelists? But if you can't do that, I'll be dissappointed, but I can settle for a Manga or Anime artist. If you can't answer this question, can you ask someone who can so I could have an answer? Thank you.

Dear Karen,

Thanks for writing.

Short of knowing someone who "knows someone," etc., it's going to be rather difficult to try to find a bestseller-caliber writer like you've mentioned, much less convince them to help you with your book. All of these writers are of course extremely busy with their own work, which includes book tours, publicity, interviews, meetings with intellectual property attorneys and agents, their editors, etc.

Writing, and the pressure to produce more books, etc., on that scale is truly more than a full-time job for these authors, and they are really much busier than it would seem to us! SMILE

Nonetheless, how could it hurt to send a short query letter? You might get lucky; someone just might respond. You will never know unless you try. The best way to contact them is through their book publishers, whose name and address, etc., is on the copyright page. Just make a list of all the authors you'd like to contact, and send letters to them (always enclose an SASE for their convenience).

Nothing's impossible; it might work, even though the odds aren't great -- but don't pay attention to the odds -- just go for it! And good luck!

All Best,
Catherine Van Herrin  

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin

I am an American-born, native English speaker with a BA in English and more than 26 years of professional editing, writing, and proofreading experience. I have edited several books and book-length manuscripts. References and titles available upon request.

For further work or assistance with larger projects, see my profile here, with 190 excellent reviews: WordChannel Professional Reviews, Ratings

I can use British-English or American-English, and I am very familiar with Chicago and AP style.

More than 26 years' U.S. publishing industry experience, editorial (print). I provide crystal-clear, clean grammar; strict attention to style, consistency, flow, logic, accuracy, and spelling, and I work quickly and efficiently.

I do not format or provide technical assistance in publishing books. I use MS Word only.

If I can help you further, contact me at the website above (create a job request) or write to me at ceg33@myway.com. My rate is $0.008 per word. Send requests/inquiries to ceg33@myway.com. I accept currency only through PayPal, with 50% of the total at project initiation; the balance is due upon project completion.

Editorial Freelancers' Association, USA

AA, Liberal Arts, Anderson College, Anderson, South Carolina. BA, English, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia. Post-graduate concentration: Post-war Irish poetry and early 18th century English fiction, Angelo State University, San Angelo, Texas.

I have worked with authors in the UK, Canada, the US, and several other countries. References and titles available on request.