Writing Books/Help!

Question
I'm currently writing a book at 15 yrs. old, do you have any pointers for me?

Answer
Hello Lauren:

I have the following tips for you:

1. Make time to write every day. Doesn't matter what you write, just write for half an hour. Write whatever comes to your mind - the best way to do this is to start a journal. Not some little diarybook, but a real journal, in spiral notebooks. Write in it every day.

2. For another half hour every day, read. Read whatever you like, fiction or non-fiction. Notice how the author makes you respond a certain way and try to figure out how they do it.

3. Stay in school and take all the literature and composition courses you can. There's where you'll learn to write.

4. Talk to your friends and relatives about their lives. Learn as much as you can how people, especially young people, cope with problems. This will teach you about human nature and also give you something to write about.

5. Check writing books out of the library (section 818) and study them. Write what you learn in your journal. This will also help your grades.

6. Don't let anyone discourage you. If you really want to write you will, whatever anyone says. A true writer cannot be discouraged.

7. When you finish some pieces you think are good, send some to your local newspaper. If they reject them, don't worry. Keep trying. Eventually you will be published.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be appreciated. I am proud of my "straight 10" record over 140+ questions!

And good luck with your writing - I expect to see you back here, soon!

Writing Books

Susan Rand