Writing Books/Humor book proposal

Question
Thanks. I'm working on writing an overview, competitive analysis, publicity plan, and a chapter-by-chapter summary (about 8 lines on each chapter)--a total of 11 pages. I'm enclosing the first three chapters as samples.

Are you saying that I should just write a 1- to 2-page synopsis of the book and submit it along with the query and sample chapters?

---------------------
Followup To
Question -
I've written a 17-chapter humor book on health and fitness that I believe will sell well--if I can propose it effectively. I've researched the market and there are only 2 or 3 comparable books in print.

I'm trying to write a book proposal along with a query letter. The notewrothy books on writing book proposals (e.g., Larsen's How to Write a Book Proposal) give some practical advice, but don't particularly apply to publishing humor.

How do I write a humor book proposal that will prompt an agent to ask for the complete manuscript?
Answer -
Dear Greg,
Thank you for your question. It sounds like a good idea for a book. A well written proposal is key to finding a publisher. In fact, you don't even need a full book proposal these days, because a publisher can tell whether a book  is right for them just from a cover letter and a short synopsis. They either publish that sort of book or they don't, so they will read your cover letter and decide whether to request the manuscript.
Make your cover letter concise and descriptive; make your synopsis representative of the book. That's the basic formula.
It's good to think through the whole book proposal, then summarize it in a short presentation. That is your pitch.
At my site i have posted a short piece on How to Find a Publisher. You may find it repetitive after reading Larsen's book, but maybe it will spark some new ideas.
If you have any more specific questions, or follow-up clarifications, please write back again.
Sincerely,
Nori

Answer
Dear Greg,
Writing a good book proposal is important because you need to know what you're selling and you need to know all the angles. You're free to send it out to the publishers you think will be interested. What i'm saying is that most publishers can tell from an inquiry letter whether they want to see the book. If they're looking for humor books on health and fitness, they will write back to you. The amount of paper you send will not change their decision. Anyway, after collecting hundreds of rejection letters (and getting a few books published along the way), i have found that all the extra postage and paper doesn't necessarily help.
However, go ahead and send out the whole proposal to publishers/agents who seem like the best bets.
The most important single thing is your cover letter. They will read the cover letter first and that will help them decide whether to read the rest. The cover letter must be short (less than one page), concise, and deliver a clear picture of what you're selling.
Also, if you send the whole proposal, be sure to enclose a large SASE with enough postage to return the whole proposal. Don't enclose a skinny 37 cent envelope and make them decide what to send back and what to throw away.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster