Writing Books/Layered fiction

I have two questions.

What does it mean to say that a story is "layered" or "multi-layered".

Also, what distinguishes philosophical fiction?

Thank you,

Hello, Pat!

A story is layered by using the tools of the Three-Act Structure, the A/B Story Structure, and the elements of conflict, subtext, theme, and character arc.  I don't have the space here to give this question the detailed answer it requires.  Contact me at my email through my group's web site and I will email you an attachment of my lecture series that deals with all of the above.  It is free to you with no strings attached.

As to what distinguishes philosophical fiction - Ayn Rand's fiction grew from and clearly demonstrated her philosophy of Objectivism; the purpose and goal of her fiction was specifically to explore Objectivism.  Jean-Paul Sartre wrote Existentialist fiction, and much of Henry Miller's fiction was demonstrative of Zen Buddhism's and Taoism's philosophical spirit.  These authors composed their works with the goal in mind of exploring perspectives that grew specifically from one or another well-defined school of philosophy.

Again, for the lecture series go to my group's web site at and contact me thorugh my email link (it's on almost every page).  In your header write, "Pat from All Experts," so that I don't delete you as spam.

My best,
Youngbear Roth, Executive Editor
The Success Trust Literary Family

Writing Books

M.L. 'Max' Roth, Executive Editor

My specialist area is literary and philosophical fiction. I am pleased to answer all queries regarding story, plot, character arc and development, environment, structure, theme, subtext, and conflict.

Past/Present clients
Numerous client references may be found at: under 'References'. Their contact information is available on request.