Writing Books/From Manuscript to Publication

Question
I've written my first manuscript and I want to present it to a publisher for publication. My question is: should I submit it for any kind of editing/evaluation/critique, and where would I go for such services?

Answer
Dear Andres,
Thank you for your question. There are critique services available. However, it's not always necessary. Most authors have a "first reader," that is, a pair of eyes attached to a person they trust. Authors like Stephen King, Tom Wolfe, and others are lucky to have a spouse who reads everything they write and offers coherent  criticism.
Other people should NEVER show their writing to a spouse, parent, partner, or any other close relation. You just have to know somebody who is qualified to read your stuff. That's why it pays to belong to a writers group and have friends in the field.
Also, if you feel the manuscript is ready, you can send out inquiry letters, let the publishers read it, and keep reworking it until you find a publisher who likes it. You don't HAVE TO have a professional critique your work unless you feel really stuck and don't know how to fix it.
If you are determined to hire a professional to evaluate your manuscript, check the links at my writer's page. Craigslist.org is a good source for those kinds of things. You can also check Writers Market.
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
I hope this helps. If you want me to read your cover letter or synopsis, I will give you feedback on it for free.
Write back to me here or through my site.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster