Writing Books/Music to write by

Question
I've got a bit of writers-block at the moment and I usually write to music to inspire me and keep me with the pace of the story. Are there any fairly well-known bands or singers that you write by that you could reccommend me? I mostly write fantasy and would greatly appreciate any song or band/solo artist that could help me get back on track and inspire me to write more!

Answer
Hi, Katherine!

I saw your question in the pool, so I thought I'd try to answer you. You pose a pretty broad question here. I don't write to music personally, but know a lot of authors who do. The ones I've talked to tend to change their music depending on the scene or "tone" they're striving for, so any suggestion on groups or singers would depend on where you're stuck in the book, and the type of fantasy you write. Is it "high" fantasy of the Lord of the Rings sort, or more urban fantasy, like Kelley Armstrong or Jim Butcher? While both fantasy, there's an entirely different feel to them that would vary the music choices greatly. Also, are you stuck in a transition scene from one action scene to the other---so maybe you'd be looking for rest and relaxation/festive music for the characters to get ready for the next battle? Or are you looking for "Ride of the Valkyries" sort of ramping action music because you're blocked about how to stage the fight?

Give me a few more details by clicking on the "follow-up question" button, and I'll try to steer you the right way (or, at least ask a few authors writing similar things to give some suggestions.)

:)

Cathy

Writing Books

Cathy Clamp