Writing Books/NON-FICTION BOOK QUESTION

Question
I am writing a book exploring various aspects of comic books.  In the process I plan to use various copies of published comic covers, characters, etc.  What sort of legal "stuff" do I need to do to reproduce these images in my book?  Are there legal issues I need to be aware of when reprinting character names?  Thank you for your help.

Answer
Hello Richard:

I am sorry I am unable to help you fully with this question. I am not a lawyer and cannot give legal advice. You should know, however, that comic book covers, text, images and characters are protected by copyright, and you must get permission to reproduce them. Write to the publisher and inquire.

You may, of course, talk about the characters and the story, but in your own words - to confiscate blocks of the text for your own commercial use would, I believe, constitute infringment.

I hope this has helped. If it has, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 1000+ questions.

And good luck with your writing.

Visit my website - http://pygmypress.com for mentoring, editing, and revising assistance.

Writing Books

Susan Rand