Writing Books/Narraration/plots

Question
Hi Nori-

I am writing a book about a brother and sister.  Later in life the brother dies.  Currently the book is narrarated via third person. Do you feel this is the best route?  Should it be first person? Or, should I have the brother and sister narrarate the story? I was thinking of having him do it while in his death, but that has been done before. Any suggestions on an interesting plot twist as well as the question of narraration?

Answer
Dear John,
Thank you for your questions. At my page for writers I have posted an article about point of view. If this is your first book, you may want to go with a close third person viewpoint. That's the easiest viewpoint to write. Close third is where you follow one character around and tell everything from that character's point of view. However, you use the third person. "Tom turned the corner and saw them coming toward him. He said, "Hey, over here!"
You can also tell the story from two or more points of view, or an omnicient point of view, but it takes more skill.
If you want to change your manuscript from third person to fist person, all you have to do is change the pronouns. First person and close third are pretty much the same, except you write "I said" instead of "he said."
My article is posted here:
http://steamboats.com/writing.html
For info. on plot, use the Fiction Writer's Workshop, also posted at that page
I hope this helps. Feel free to write back if you want to discuss further.
Sincerely,
Nori

Writing Books

Nori J. Muster