Writing Books/New author

Question
Dear Catherine,

I am trying to write a book about my life culture and christianity conmbind. I forget the name that you call such a book. Anyhow, I always had a gift of art I see things in my mind and it is like a mind movie lol I call it photographic memory. I love to write that is all I do is write and also draw. I love going to the park and draw nature and people. I do how ever draw cartoons but very rare if I am in the mood. I love to draw angels and fantasy creatures. Like mermaids, centures, unicorns est. Like all authors I hope it becomes a best novel. I have been asked by a jewish man in my mothers job name Sheldon whom ask me to be his co author. He paid my art for his poem and it was worth 200.00 cash. I was shocked. I said sure I take the job. And my dream of becoming an author is just starting. I am trying to share my culture and life with others and my religion which is catholic. And how it has made my life a reality. I am not like most youngsters I just turned 21 by the way and I have been writing since I learned how to write lol. That is how much I love writing even on the computer. My mother said that I am a gifted child. I am thankful for that. Do you have any pointers on first time authors I didnt have classes on writing and such but all I have is talent and I want to proof to people that just because I am learning disabled and have a syndrome with many problems doesnt mean I cant do it. I look like a mixer of Jennifer Hudson from Dream girls and that american Idol singer Jordin Sparks. I have Olive skin tone. I am Hispanic West Indie/ Puerto Rican. Well Puerto Rican only but we are known to be West Indie. I dont think of my self as a disabled person half the time but I am trying to be a role modle for the young generation and to seek God fully and to know that he is watching you. That is what my book is about faith, love, relationships, how to be a somebody and to respect yourself and others. And to say NO TO SATAN! That is my book. Will this be a great one. I hope it gets published how do you find the write cover for your book too?

Answer
Dear Jacqueline,

If you have such a strong desire to write, you really don't need extensive formal training; as long as you can put forth the ideas that you have, combined with your life story (autobiography), then that's all you need.

Then, once you have it all together, you can submit it to an editor; they do all the "clean-up" work anyway. You can find freelance editors all over the web; just Google "freelance editors," and you'll find scores of professional people who will take on your project for a lot less than you would pay an in-house editor who works full-time at a very large publishing house.

Just start at the beginning of your life and mention how God has helped you along the way -- choose the things that have really made a distinct impression to you in your life, and also include information about your heritage, etc. Just write about what makes you different. People love to read about other people's lives.

I wish you all the best! You can do this!

Cheers,
Catherine Van Herrin

Writing Books

Catherine Van Herrin