Writing Books/Non-Fiction work - how to?

Hi. I'm consider working on a non-fiction book which would require significant research and surveying.  How do I go about ensuring there isn't a similar study or book already published in this area?  Thanks for your time.

Hello Bruce:

There is a book at your public library called "Books in Print." I would consult that first. Consult the librarian if you have questions.

Also, you might google a number of your keywords (words that describe what your book is about) to see what comes up.

Even if a book or two has been written on your subject, so long as you don't plagiarize someone else's work - yours will be different -  - I guarantee you. Go ahead and write your book and don't worry about what else is out there.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 1000+ questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication