Writing Books/Novel Writing

Question
How do you choose what words and sentence structures to use for a given paragraph in a novel? Thank you for your help.

Christopher

Answer
Hello Christopher:

In choosing what words to use in a paragraph, remember that the first purpose of words is to communicate meaning, hopefully in an interesting, imaginative way. The second purpose of words (grouped into phrases) is to set up an image in the reader's mind: "The girl's red skirt swirled around her legs as she danced." Words can also carry sensory information: "The pie smelled wonderful," convey commands: "Hand me that hammer," etc. Words have nuances and connotations.

As for sentence structure, this is a primary way that writing holds our attention. To read a paragraph where all the sentences are the same length is boring, and we soon get tired and put the work aside. Varied sentence structure is crucial to any kind of writing, if you want to be read. Try to vary your sentence structure as much as you can. If you want a good example, read Mark Twain.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 670 questions.

And good luck with your writing!

Writing Books

Susan Rand