Writing Books/Number of words per chapter

Question
Is there any rules that you follow to determine how many words per chapter of a book.  Also, when you have completed your book, how do you know how many pages it will be?  Is there a book text format to use?

Thank you,

Answer
Is there any rules that you follow to determine how many words per chapter of a book.

Nope.  Not at all!  I've seen chapters that go on for 50 pages and others that are 50 words.

Also, when you have completed your book, how do you know how many pages it will be?

Generally, you can only estimate.  Much depends on the size of the pages, the typeface used, etc.  Agents and publishers request to know word count, though, not your guess at number of pages.

Is there a book text format to use?

I assume you mean for submission purposes.  It's best to check with the individual publishers, but a good rule of thumb is:

Double-spaced
Size 12 font (Times Roman or something like it)
1 inch margin all around

Aside from that, just keep it simple and easy to read.

Writing Books

Vincent M. Wales