Writing Books/Going from Online Article Writer to Book Author

Dear Susan,

I have completed my 7646 th online artile and have an average of 350 words each. It has taken me about 16 months to do this. 7,646 x 350 = 2,676,100 and now I am considering writing some books on my expertise (various) and also some Sci Fi with future technologies woven in. My question is can I convert my new writing skills into writing books? And if I can keep up the pace of 5600 words per day, how many books or novels could I write? And it appears to me that Novels are larger than most "How To Books" or non-fiction books. Although I believe I can do both? Is there anyway to determine how my current output can translate into book writing? Thank you Susan, and I am a big fan, you have been an inspiration. - Lance Winslow  

Hello Lance:

There are many questions in this question, some of them answerable, some not.

A little arithmetic will show you how many books you could write at 5,600 words a day. Assuming each had 90,000 words, it would take you 16 days to complete a book - one draft. That is, unless something intervened, like meals, showering, running errands, sickness or injury, doctor's appointments, etc. To write 5,600 words a day you would need to write 700 words per hour, for eight hours, without fail.

There is a big difference between novel-writing and writing non-fiction; each has its own approach, so when you have decided on a project, come back and we will explore them.

I hope this helps. If it does, a nice rating would be greatly appreciated. I am proud of my high score over 700 questions.

And good luck with your writing!  

Writing Books

Susan Rand

I can answer questions about the elements of fiction and non-fiction writing: how to get started, writing techniques, re-writing, etc. I will NOT write for you, do critiques except from my website at, or give you ideas. I will not answer home-or-schoolwork questions in any category. If English is your second language, please say so, and I will make an exception. Please submit no more than one or two questions at once, as I tend to go into detail in my answers.

I wrote my first book in 1957 and have been writing and studying writing since. I have a BA in Written Communications, and have taught writing both privately and through adult education for 15 years. Have also edited (fiction books) for an online publisher and edited/wrote more than 100 articles for a teen sex education site. Currently writing web content and mentoring beginning writers.

BA degree in Written Communication